Anxiety can be a debilitating condition that affects many people around the world. It can manifest in various ways, such as panic attacks, excessive worrying, and social anxiety. While there are many traditional treatments available, such as medication and therapy, it is also now common to turn to alternative methods to help manage their anxiety. One such method is positive affirmations. Positive affirmations are statements that are repeated to oneself, like a mantra, to help promote positive thoughts and feelings.
Do Affirmations Help Anxiety?
It should be no surprise that a website about affirmations will want to confirm that yes, affirmations can help with anxiety. There is a caveat to that statement though, in that, just like any other form of treatment, positive affirmations can be an effective tool for managing anxiety for some people and maybe not as effective as some would like for others.
The underlying principle behind positive affirmations is that they can help to reprogram negative thought patterns and replace them with positive ones. This can be particularly helpful for those who struggle with anxious or negative thinking. By repeating positive statements to oneself, it is possible to cultivate a more positive mindset and reduce the intensity and frequency of anxious thoughts and feelings.
Research on the effectiveness of affirmations for anxiety is limited, but there is some evidence to suggest that they can be helpful. One study published in the Journal of Clinical Psychology found that affirmations were effective in reducing symptoms and deemed helpful for recovery by self-reported people who have overcome their anxiety.
While positive affirmations may not work for everyone, they can be a useful addition to a holistic approach to managing anxiety. When combined with other strategies such as exercise, mindfulness, and therapy, affirmations can help individuals to develop a more positive outlook and reduce anxiety symptoms.
How To Use Affirmations For Anxiety
Using positive affirmations is easy, free, and anyone can do it! To use affirmations to help with anxiety, simply read through the long list of affirmations for anxiety provided below. Choose a few of the affirmations (or statements) that resonate with you and how you are feeling (or more likely how you would like to be feeling), then start using these affirmations daily.
You can find out more about using positive affirmations here, but the general idea is to repeat your chosen affirmations over and over again (like a mantra) 10-15 times as often as you like but at least twice a day.
You can do them in the morning, in the evening or any time of day that suits you, the important thing is to remember to ‘do’ them consistently.
You can ‘do’ your affirmations by:
- Saying them out loud
- Saying them silently in your head
- Writing them out over and over again and/or
- Recording them and listening to them over and over again.
It doesn’t matter which way you choose to use your affirmations, you just need to do them consistently and often. It’s also important to really try to believe in each statement as you say it. The more you practice, the easier this will become.
We’ve broken the following anxiety reducing affirmations into four broad categories. There’s the general positive affirmations for anxiety, a list of short positive affirmations for anxiety, and then there’s the slightly more specific affirmations for social anxiety and a list of positive affirmations for work anxiety. Read through them all and choose the ones that will best suit your needs at the moment – you can always come back and find some others again in the future if your needs change.
Positive Affirmations For Anxiety (General)
This list includes all the best positive affirmations for anxiety that is not specific to a workplace or social settings.
- I am capable of solving any problems that face me.
- I am anxiety free and living a calm life.
- I am able to overcome my anxiety.
- I have the ability to overcome my anxiety.
- I am relaxing each part of my body.
- All is well in my world.
- I believe in my ability to get through tough times.
- The feelings in my body are normal and I fully accept them.
- I have an inner sense of calm.
- I enjoy feeling calm and peaceful.
- I am going to focus on things I love to get me through this.
- I am in control of my thoughts.
- I radiate calmness and inner peace.
- I welcome peace and happiness into my life.
- I am calm, happy and content.
- I am in charge of my anxiety.
- I am cool, calm and collected.
- I know that this feeling is only temporary.
- I know that this feeling will pass soon.
- I can overcome my fears.
- I am in control of my thoughts and my life.
- I have the power to make changes.
- I am in control of my emotions.
- I will be okay even if I experience moments of anxiety.
- I feel great today.
- I am positive and optimistic.
- I deserve to feel calm.
- My mind is calm, my body is relaxed.
- I am attracting positive energy into my body.
- I am safe and in control.
- I am treating myself with kindness, patience and respect.
- I am finding it easier to move forward without fear.
- I am ready and able.
- I deserve to be healthy.
- I feel the fear and do it anyway.
- I am overcoming fear by pushing through it.
- I am living my life courageously.
- I can overcome any challenge.
- I am strong and capable of managing my anxiety.
- I trust myself to make the best decisions for my wellbeing.
- I am safe and protected, and everything is going to be okay.
- I actively contribute to my healing.
- I give my body everything it needs to feel calm.
- Everything is going to be okay.
- This moment is only temporary.
- I will feel better soon.
- I choose to let go of my worries and focus on the present moment.
- I am loved and supported, and I have people who care about me.
- I believe in myself and my ability to overcome any challenge.
- I choose positive and nurturing thoughts.
- I am just uncomfortable – this, too, shall pass.
- I am currently reducing my anxiety.
- I am worthy of love and respect, and I treat myself with kindness and compassion.
- I am grateful for all that I have, and I choose to focus on the positive aspects of my life.
- I am in the process of becoming less anxious.
- I am calm and centered, and I trust in my ability to handle any situation that arises.
- I have the strength to move beyond my anxiety.
- I acknowledge my feelings and emotions.
- I can do this, and I will do this.
- I am fine just the way I am.
- I have the power to change how I feel at every moment.
- I am confident in everything that I do.
Short Positive Affirmations For Anxiety
Sometimes you just want to keep your affirmations short and sweet so that you can easily remember them and use them on the go. Don’t be put off by their short size though, sometimes the short ones are the most powerful and impactful affirmations as they cut out the fluff and just let the message get through.
- I am calm.
- I am calm and in control.
- I can do this.
- I am capable.
- I am safe.
- I cultivate inner calm.
- I am surrounded by love and support.
- I am strong and resilient.
- Serenity now.
- I am in control now.
- I will survive.
- I believe in myself.
- I am courageous.
- I am brave.
- I am positive.
- I am intelligent.
- I am talented.
- I radiate positivity.
- I am comfortable.
- I am going to be okay.
- I choose happiness.
- I choose peace.
- I choose calmness.
- I am okay as I am.
- I choose to be happy.
- I accept myself.
- I choose to feel calm.
- I am confident.
- I accept my future and whatever it brings.
- I will be fine.
Affirmations For Social Anxiety
When we think of anxiety we often think of social anxiety as, especially in these post pandemic years, social anxiety is extremely common among us all. If your struggles are with social anxiety, these are the best affirmations to use.
- I am social and I like meeting people.
- I find it easy to make friends.
- I attract positive and kind people into my life.
- It is easy for me to meet new people.
- I am confident.
- I am kind and loving.
- I am good at connecting with others.
- I enjoy meeting new people.
- I am an interesting person to talk to.
- I am a good conversationalist.
- I relate to others easily.
- I am good at talking to people.
- I am comfortable in a group.
- I am an interesting person.
- I am a friendly person.
- I have a lot to talk about.
- I am worthy of friendship.
- I radiate love and happiness.
- I am comfortable talking to people I don’t know.
- I love getting to know new people.
- I handle social situations with ease.
- I bring positivity and joy to the lives of everyone I meet.
- I am comfortable in social situations.
- I am comfortable in groups.
- I make a positive impact on everyone I meet.
- I remain calm and confident in groups.
- I feel safe and comfortable interacting with people.
- I am safe in social environments.
- I love meeting new people.
- I welcome new social situations into my life.
- I love making small talk.
- I love being around other people.
- I am comfortable socializing.
- Other people always seem to love meeting me.
- I always have interesting things to say.
- I enjoy an active social life.
- I find making conversation easy.
- Other people love hearing what I have to say.
- I am a good and kind person.
- I enjoy making others laugh.
- I am an excellent listener.
- I am a good friend to have.
- I am surrounded by supportive friends and loved ones.
- I allow myself to experience life and everything it has to offer.
- I allow wonderful people into my life.
- I am comfortable and confident in social situations.
- I am worthy of love and acceptance, and I am deserving of positive relationships.
- I trust in my ability to connect with others and build meaningful relationships.
- I choose to let go of my fear of judgment and focus on being my authentic self.
- I am open to new experiences and new connections.
- I am confident in my communication skills and can express myself effectively.
- I am capable of overcoming social anxiety and living a fulfilling life.
- I focus on the positive qualities and strengths that I bring to social situations.
- I choose to approach social situations with curiosity and an open mind.
Positive Affirmations For Work Anxiety
Another common anxiety-inducing area of our lives is the workplace. If you’re struggling with anxiety, fear or worry over work, then these are the affirmations for you.
- I know I can do this.
- I am the best person for the job.
- I enjoy going to work.
- I am an important part of the team.
- I am a capable and efficient worker.
- I can persevere.
- I can make it through this.
- I love challenges – they bring out the best in me.
- I have a lot to offer.
- I choose to approach challenges at work as opportunities for growth and learning.
- I am capable of managing my workload and will delegate tasks when necessary.
- I am deserving of breaks throughout the workday to recharge and refocus.
- I choose to prioritize my mental health and well-being at work.
- I am in control of my reactions to stressful situations and will remain calm and composed.
- I deserve a good career.
- I am brave enough to take chances.
- I can handle anything that comes my way.
- I am capable of achieving my goals.
- I am confident in my skills.
- I am a confident, competent and capable worker.
- I am creating the life of my dreams.
- I can do anything I put my mind to.
- I am doing the best I can.
- I am confident and determined.
- I am proud of my accomplishments.
- I am motivated and inspired to chase my dreams.
- I am talented and have many things to offer.
- I am allowed to ask for help.
- I am courageous enough to ask for help when I need it.
- I am prepared for this.
- I can get through this situation.
- I have faith in my abilities.
- I am capable and competent in my work.
- I trust in my ability to handle any challenges that may arise.
- I am confident in my skills and knowledge.
- I am grateful for my job and the opportunities it provides.
- I choose to focus on the task at hand and let go of distractions.
- I am in control of my thoughts and emotions, even in high-pressure situations.
- I am valued for my contributions to the workplace.
- I choose to let go of perfectionism and focus on progress over perfection.
- I am supported by my colleagues and will ask for help when I need it.
- I am comfortable setting boundaries and communicating my needs at work.
- I am open to learning new things and growing in my career.
- I choose to approach my work with a positive attitude and a can-do mindset.
If you, or someone you love, struggles with anxiety then sometimes the world can seem just too much to handle at times. There are many things you can do to help with anxiety – talking with your doctor, psychologist or counselor is a good start, but there are also things you can do for yourself to help when anxiety and fear are taking over. Positive affirmations are a great, and easily accessible way, to tackle your anxiety yourself.
We wish you well in your endeavors to overcome your anxiety. You’ve taken a big step towards helping yourself by reading through these affirmations today. Hopefully you have found a resource here that you can return to whenever you need some help with finding some powerful affirmations to help with your anxiety.